Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Should students be allowed to leave school grounds for lunch?

Should students be allowed to leave school grounds for lunch?

I think students in general should be given more freedom. But with freedom, always comes manipulation, and abuse of freedom. So that’s why it should be enforced just like any other rule if we ever were to allow students to leave the building for lunch. I think lunch should be 35 minutes instead of 25, and schools should either shorten SSR or just remove it either way. Let’s face it, who really reads in SSR? And even if they do, how is 25 minutes a day really going to help anyone or improve anything. Most people sleep, eat, talk, get in trouble etc. I really see no point in having a time every single day to just sit there and “be silent” or “have something to do”. So if we were to allow students to leave the building for lunch, we should be allowed to leave for SSR, too.
The question that comes up is that how would we account for students who leave during lunch and if students would not come back if allowed to leave. How do we trust them? Well, it can be enforced like any other rule we have. If a student is going to leave school, they should sign out, or leave some sort of collateral like their keys (except for their car of course) or their books, so that there’s no way they would get away with not coming back. And if a student doesn’t sign back in or retrieve their items, they can get up to a 10 day suspension.
I see nothing wrong with that rule. I have never been one to question authority or break rules constantly. Even though I am not the most obedient at times, I still obey most rules and treat authority with respect even if I happen to break few. I would have no problem signing in and out or leaving something behind to promise I will return if was allowed to leave, because I would appreciated being given the privilege to do so; and I wouldn’t want to take advantage of that or abuse the privilege, because that would be just a good example of why not to give students freedom. And why would you want to make a school or an authority figure that has the power to give you freedom not t5rust you?
I have never understood how so many students are always so confrontational when regards to following rules and respecting authority and administration. You don’t have to agree with rules in order to follow them, but in the moment it is just easier to do what you’re told. It’s funny to me because the same students who challenge authority and treat administration with utter disrespect are the same student who beg for freedom and respect back. How are you going to ask for respect from someone who you disrespect all the time? I will never understand. But nevertheless, as long as the administration is willing to enforce the rules like they do all the others so diligently, or even restrict some students from being granted the privilege of it for not being obedient, I see no harm in allowing students to leave the building or school grounds during lunch and SSR.

No comments:

Post a Comment